Transmission Repairs Brisbane
A transmission system in which the gears are operated by the driver by means of a stick shift and clutch pedal. Manual transmissions are generally preferred for high-performance driving, or as a lower-cost alternative to more expensive automatic transmissions. They are also simpler, and less costly to repair as well.
The modern automatic transmission consists of many components and systems that are designed to work together in a symphony of clever mechanical, hydraulic and electrical technology that has evolved over the years into what many mechanically inclined individuals consider to be an art form. We try to use simple, generic explanations where possible to describe these systems but, due to the complexity of some of these components, you may have to use some mental gymnastics to visualize their operation.
The main components that make up an automatic transmission include:
- Planetary Gear Sets which are the mechanical systems that provide the various forward gear ratios as well as reverse.
- The Hydraulic System which uses a special transmission fluid sent under pressure by an Oil Pump through the Valve Body to control the Clutches and the Bands in order to control the planetary gear sets.
- Seals and Gaskets are used to keep the oil where it is supposed to be and prevent it from leaking out.
- The Torque Converter which acts like a clutch to allow the vehicle to come to a stop in gear while the engine is still running.
- The Governor and the Modulator or Throttle Cable that monitor speed and throttle position in order to determine when to shift.
- On newer vehicles, shift points are controlled by Computer which directs electrical solenoids to shift oil flow to the appropriate component at the right instant.